It's not always easy to find a great singing teacher! It often surprises me who is out there working with voices. You cannot practice as a doctor without a medical degree and most professions have minimum skill and training requirements However, it seems that almost anyone can call themselves a voice coach or singing teacher. There are many misconceptions out there about singing teachers and some of these are:
- The teacher has a great voice so they must be able to teach me to sound like that
- This teacher has an exclusive method which s/he claims is better than any other method
- This person is popular so they must be a good teacher
- This teacher claims to have taught a lot of pop stars so they must be good
- This person has had a distinguished performing career, so they must be able to teach.
There are many methods of singing and many styles for teaching someone to sing! No single teacher has all the answers and no single method is right for all students. Some students will always succeed, despite bad teaching, on their talent alone. Please click "read more" for a list of ideas that will help you choose a good singing teacher: